BRBC partners with local church in NC
“Amazing! That’s what your church is, simply amazing.”
Chapel by the Sea (CBTS) in Emerald Isle, NC gratefully received the $16,493.58 raised from within our BRBC church family last fall and started putting it to good use to provide relief from the effects of Hurricane Florence. Earlier this month, BRBC received a thoughtful thank you from the staff of CBTS and a fantastic update on how far this $16k has stretched. The quote above is an exclamation from CBTS’ chairman of trustees (deacons), David Schock.
CBTS shared their joy at being able to use a significant portion of the BRBC gift to “help their community and those less fortunate,” as well as their gratitude at having the funds needed to supplement what their property insurance lacked to be able to restore their church building to order.
Here’s the detailed update on how the funds from BRBC assisted in CBTS’ relief efforts:
- Essential assistance provided to members of their church congregation for food, temporary living accommodations, home and roof repairs, moving out of condemned houses, and clearing downed trees.
- Same essential assistance provided to needy members of their local community—what a blessing to provide help for basic life necessities such as food, lodging, and repairs for those outside of the church, as a way to be a tangible representation of Jesus’ love.
- 40 complete Thanksgiving meals provided through 6 local schools, which furthered relationships there
- Over $2,300 in gift cards to a local grocery store given away
- Funds to two other local NC churches that had the means to coordinate relief efforts in their surrounding communities.
- Repair of significant damage to the older half of the CBTS church building, including mold and water remediation and replacement of roof, HVAC, insulation, ceilings, drywall, flooring, doors, electrical wiring and lighting in the Sunday School classrooms, offices, nursery, and kitchen. Thank God that most of these repairs are now complete, though they are still working to finish up painting and flooring!
Pastor Clay Olsen, senior pastor at CBTS, wrote:
“Our elders wanted to send this thank you to your church family as a heartfelt expression of all of our appreciation for the absolutely amazing donation we received from you all … God bless you all. All for the King.”
As a recap, when Hurricane Florence came ashore in North Carolina last September, the elders of BRBC decided to raise funds for assistance to those affected by the hurricane. Aid was provided through Chapel by the Sea since BRBC elder Bill Wilcox personally knows members of that church.